- Cocaine urine tests screen the presence of benzoylecgonine
- The risks of cocaine abuse should not be taken lightly
- You can turn to several cocaine addiction treatments
The metabolization of cocaine in your body can begin so fast that a urine test taken 6 hours after cocaine use can rarely show any sign of drug use. However, even when the user abstains from cocaine use for 2, 3 or 4 years, hair follicles still retain deposits of cocaine metabolites.
- The samples obtained from a user’s first urine almost always reveal a higher concentration of drug metabolites than at a later time of the day.
- Also, employers have become aware of the ways that users make to dilute the urine so they can pass a drug test.
- In order to ensure an accurate representative specimen, employers should implement a random and unannounced cocaine testing at work.
Cocaine urine tests screen the presence of benzoylecgonine
A lot of employers make use of the cutoff levels that have been established by NIDA or the National Institute of Drug Abuse to determine whether or not a potential employee is using cocaine. A urine level with a minimum of 300 nanograms of benzoylecgonine/mL of urine is deemed positive. The other cocaine metabolites that remain in your body include norcocaine, p-hydroxybenzoylecgonine, m-hydroxycocaine and ecgonine methyl ester. Take note that the levels of cocaine metabolites in each person’s urine can vary depending on whether the test was performed in the morning or at a later time of the day.
The risks of cocaine abuse should not be taken lightly
Abusing cocaine can result in several harmful effects, both in short-term and long-term duration, on users. The most severe risk with prolonged cocaine use is an overdose.
The Short-term effects of abusing cocaine include:
- Extreme mood changes
- Sleep Problems
- Impaired judgment
- Involuntary movement disorders
- Seizures, stroke, heart attack
- Overdose or sudden death
The Long-term effects of abusing cocaine are:
- Persistent cognitive impairment
- Damage to multiple organs
- Mental health issues (i.e. depression leading to suicide)
- Higher risk of infection
The long-term use of needles for intramuscular, subcutaneous or intravenous administration can also lead to tissue and skin infections around the injection sites. However, cases of lung infections, septic emboli, and arterial blockages have also been recorded to have occurred.
You can turn to several cocaine addiction treatments
Many rehab programs and addiction centers in Maine are made to assist you with the initial detox process, which is then followed by individual and group therapies. Below are some of the kinds of treatment centers you can choose from based on your unique needs and circumstances:
Traditional or Standard Rehabilitation Facilities
The kind of facility involves either inpatient (that is residential) or outpatient (that is non-residential) plans. Standard rehab is often offered at relatively low costs as they forgo of the plush amenities of the other types of treatment facilities.
Executive Rehab Facilities
They offer residential rehab treatment. They cater business professionals who are in need of treatment but have to remain actively involved at work during the entire duration.
Luxury Rehab Centers
They also offer a residential type of rehab treatment accompanied by high-end amenities that are designed to make you feel comfortable during the whole process.