How Long Does Cocaine Stay In The System?
It can take some time for drugs to achieve peak levels. However, the effects of which can be experienced almost in an instant when you snort or inject it.
- The initial high you can get with drug use is often called a rush.
- Such feeling fades shortly after resulting in a crash.
- The cycle of a euphoric high then a crash and cravings for more of the substance to counter the effects of the crash often leads to increasing tolerance, leading to addiction.
The National Survey on Drug Use and Health in 2008 reveals that 1.4 million people in the U.S. are addicted to cocaine. Cocaine acts quickly on the central nervous system to produce an intense euphoric high that is often short-lived lasting 15-60 minutes per use. The peak levels of cocaine in your blood appear 30 minutes after ingestion but this largely depends on how you take cocaine.
In general, users smoke, snort or inject cocaine.
- Oral ingestion: The effects of cocaine are felt in 60 minutes.
- Smoking: The effects of cocaine are felt in 45 minutes.
- Snorting: The effects of cocaine are felt in 30 minutes
Intravenous use: The effects of cocaine are felt in 5 minutes.
The chronic use of cocaine can cause hardened arteries, which is reportedly the cause of death of the famous singer Whitney Houston.
The use of cocaine may also prompt a larger bulk of stress that can lead to either seizure or a cardiac arrest as in the case of the young basketball star Len Bias after he got recruited into the Boston Celtics. Before his death in 1986, people in the country were mostly unaware of the fact that abusing cocaine can lead to death.
Over 160,000 users go into rehab for cocaine addiction with only 1 out of 10 people getting rehab help. Around 1.6 million users remain to be addicted to the substance. Moreover, over 1,000 school-aged children require rehab due to cocaine abuse every year.
Surely preventing cocaine abuse signifies the prevention of any kind of drug abuse.
Often, drug abuse occurs early. As such, explaining the risks of drug abuse in its simplest terms may be necessary for children before they reach the adolescent years. However, if your child has already reached his adolescence, you can still educate him as it is always never too late for you to improve your situation.
The possibility of your child being surrounded by drinkers and drug users can be overwhelming. Hence, he should already expect ridicule because of his refusal to join such activities. He must have to courage to walk away from such an environment to stay sober. Also, he should understand that drug abuse can cause damage to the body which can lead to overdose or an addiction.
Among the most crucial messages to convey to parents is for them to be united against substance abuse especially if their child is below 21 years old.
This is important whether or not the family is living under the same roof. The National Center on Drug Addiction and Substance Abuse reveals that if a person is able to avoid drinking alcohol before they turn 21, they can significantly reduce the problems related to substance abuse.
Parents should also set the right example of staying sober. If parents would say that substance abuse is unacceptable but they often drink or use prescription drugs, then that would send a mixed message to the child.
On This Page
- 1 In general, users smoke, snort or inject cocaine.
- 2 The chronic use of cocaine can cause hardened arteries, which is reportedly the cause of death of the famous singer Whitney Houston.
- 3 Every year, an average of 500,000 people is brought to the ER for cocaine abuse related problems.
- 4 Surely preventing cocaine abuse signifies the prevention of any kind of drug abuse.
- 5 Among the most crucial messages to convey to parents is for them to be united against substance abuse especially if their child is below 21 years old.