Is Cocaine Bad For You?
- The danger and intensity of cocaine high depend on the mode of taking it
- Cocaine high is actually the result of an overwhelming increase of a brain chemical called dopamine that is responsible for the feeling of pleasure
- The problem is that the effects of cocaine go way beyond the short-lived euphoria it creates
- Recovery is possible with cocaine
Cocaine is hardly new in the illicit market. A psychoactive drug, cocaine can directly change the brain function of the individual using it. Changes to your mood, perception, and consciousness either by smoking, taking a shot or snorting the drug are also common amongst users.
- Off the streets, it is nicknamed coke, blow or snow.
- The chemical compound is used to create the modern “high” in Cocaine comes from a plant called the Erythroxylon coca.
- The leaves of the coca bush have long been used by humans.
- In the 1500s, the European explorers discovered that the Peruvians and the Incans have been chewing the coca bush leaves for purposes of relieving depression.
The danger and intensity of cocaine high depend on the mode of taking it.
An addiction expert and the medical director of the Center for Network Therapy, Indra Cidambi, M.D revealed. Smoking crack, which is the rock crystal form of this drug made by the mixing of cocaine with baking soda, can hit the brain in a mere 8 seconds and will give you a cocaine high that can last just 15 to 30 minutes.
Cidambi also revealed that the quicker you get high, the stronger it is but the shorter is its duration. Because of this, users often resort to binging on cocaine so that they will be able to sustain more of the intense cocaine highs.
Cocaine high is actually the result of an overwhelming increase of a brain chemical called dopamine that is responsible for the feeling of pleasure.
The high can also encourage users to repeat behaviors as the brain finds pleasure in it the same as eating or having sex. On the contrary, cocaine high just cannot be compared to the endorphin rush of a delicious meal, a sweaty workout, or even intense sex.
Over time, your brain will be altered to choose the pleasure you get from using cocaine and other pleasurable activities no longer become as pleasurable as before. You may also have the tendency to be very talkative, brazen, and over energetic when using coke or you can easily get angry, erratic, anxious, paranoid, restless or hyper.
The problem is that the effects of cocaine go way beyond the short-lived euphoria it creates.
Cocaine can lead to a dangerous rise in your heart rate and blood pressure placing you at a great risk of developing blood clots and even severe cases of heart arrhythmias. Cocaine can also constrict your blood vessels, make your pupils dilated, increase your body temperature to dangerous levels, give you headaches, and reduce your appetite. Snorting coke, on the other hand, can give you a chronic runny nose thus cause damage to your nasal cavity.
Cocaine is fatal as it can affect your heart and cause stroke, heart attacks, and quadruple your risk of a sudden death. A neurology professor and the Director of the Center for Neuroeconomics Studies, Paul J. Zak, Ph.D. revealed that cocaine is so dangerous that a lot of ER visits of patients with heart-related problems and stroke are caused by the use of cocaine.
Recovery is possible with cocaine.
While it is true that long-term cocaine use puts your body on a tremendous stress just to stay alive and each hit can be catastrophic to your health in the long-term, it is equally true that people recover from cocaine addiction every day. You can opt for a comprehensive treatment program from Minnesota detox where you will be taught how to handle triggers and how to find pleasure in things that do not involve the use of drugs. Also, you will be able to connect with others who have recovered and a medical team will work with you to restore your physical health.
On This Page
- 1 The danger and intensity of cocaine high depend on the mode of taking it.
- 2 Cocaine high is actually the result of an overwhelming increase of a brain chemical called dopamine that is responsible for the feeling of pleasure.
- 3 The problem is that the effects of cocaine go way beyond the short-lived euphoria it creates.
- 4 Recovery is possible with cocaine.
If there is one worse thing that could happen as a result of drug addiction, it would be losing a life. Many cases of suicide are caused by ...
Dealing with addiction is very difficult, more so for kids who got involved with it at a very early age. The number of people using drugs ke...