How to Get Over Drug Addiction

Help Is Only A Phone Call Away

Call Now 855-227-9535

Addiction essentially rewires a person’s brain to become dependent on a certain substance. One such light example is coffee. People who drink coffee don’t necessarily abuse the substance, but they are somewhat dependent on it. You would hear regular coffee drinkers complain of headaches and be grouchy if they haven’t had their cup of coffee.

When it comes to alcohol and drugs, it takes on a deeper, darker level. A substance’s effect correlates to the severity of the addiction. Powerful mind-altering drugs like heroin and cocaine give the user sensations that provide an escape from the problems they face. When the problems keep on coming and the supply keeps on giving, you’ll eventually end up with an addict.

How to Quit Drug Addiction

There are only two kinds of people who deal with addiction: The addict and those who are affected by them. Some people think that addicts just have to commit to getting cured. If that was the case, then addiction would cease to be a problem. The fact is that it takes more than just commitment. Addiction stems from several factors, all of which have to be dealt with, otherwise the likelihood of relapse increases dramatically.


  • Find a recovery program


Everything starts with a plan. It can be a plan you can do yourself or a program you can join. There are many groups out there such as Alcoholics Anonymous, who can help you deal with your addiction. If you have health insurance, ask them about rehab benefits. Finally, if you have the resources for it, you can sign up for rehab programs for either inpatient or outpatient care.


  • Find someone to help you


Whichever step you take, try not to take it alone. This works quite well when you decide to taper off. Addiction is caused by loss of control, so having someone as a “control crutch,” will help you gain your control back. Apart from a crutch, having someone to encourage you can do wonders for the psyche.

Make sure to tell them the expectations. At some point an addict can lash out, lie and manipulate. If you can find someone that can commit to helping, make sure they get a complete idea first, otherwise, they might step away.


  • Make a list


Putting something in paper is more powerful than it looks. It’s a way of manifesting thought into reality. Write down first the negative effects of your addiction. Write all possible ones, even future ones.

Once finished, write down the positive effects when you do quit. This can help you aspire for the good, healthy things in life.

Finally, make a list of your goals, both short and long-term. For example, you want your dosage to be halved after a month and find a new sport like archery. Once you’ve written this all down, make sure you place it somewhere easy to access or see. Just looking at the list can help motivate you to get over your addiction.


  • Stick to the program


This is where willpower will come to play. With your list of short-term goals and long-term goals, someone to help you and a program to follow, all it takes is to do the small things. Eventually, these small things add up to big things. There’s no one-hit solution for addiction and if there is, it’s bound to have some serious repercussions if not done properly.

How Long Does It Take To Get Over Drug Addiction?

There’s a myth that it takes only 21 days, or three weeks to get over an addiction. With a very rigorous program, followed to the point, someone could recover from addiction in 21 days.

This is wrong. The more realistic answer is 90 days. Addiction is mostly a behavioral issue. Almost all behavioral issues are solved by constant practice to develop a habit. Drug recovery is all about developing a counter-habit, devolving of current unhealthy habits and allow the brain to reset. This does not take 21 days and depending on the individual, could take as long as 120 days.

There are inpatient rehab programs that last for 30 days, but it’s followed by a month or two of outpatient care. This is to ensure that the patient is completely reintroduced to society with skills to help them combat relapse.

The true duration, however, is your entire life. Even after recovering from addiction, you could be susceptible to another form of addiction. Your ultimate enemy is relapse and you have your entire life to bolster your behavior to avoid it.

How to Treat Addiction Without Insurance or Money?

Not everyone has insurance because of many reasons such as the financial responsibilities stitched into it. For others, it’s just too late and insurance companies would either deny them or charge expensive premiums. Not everyone can afford a proper rehab program as well. Some rehab programs can cost as much as $10,000, others around $5,000 and some semi-charity programs offer it at a much lower cost.

Yet, it’s still a large amount of cash to be spent. Is there a way to recover from addiction without forking over a sum of cash or without insurance benefits? Yes, there is.


  • How to treat addiction at home and on your own


Doing your recovery from home can be incredibly convenient, especially if you’re a busy individual. There are several more pros to doing home rehab, but it also has its own share of cons.


  • You can be close to the people you love
  • You get to cope in your own environment
  • You can practice discretion
  • You can continue working
  • It may cost you less, or be downright free


  • You may get exposed to the same triggers, slowing recovery
  • If you don’t have someone to help, isolation may be harmful to you
  • Doing the free method may not fully solve some of your addiction drivers

You can do one of two methods of Home Rehab.


  • Hire a home-visit specialist


There are many sources to visit house-call rehab specialists. Treated like outpatient care, a therapist can visit your home to provide insight and advice to help you handle your addiction. The main benefit of this is it’s less expensive than going into a center or outpatient care.

Doing therapy in the comfort of your own home can do wonders to the psyche, as you are in your secure environment. It will also allow the therapist to properly identify triggers and drivers, especially among the family.


  • The Cold Turkey and Tapering Off


Cold turkey means you’re going to quit the drug instantly, no refills, no going back, just one for the road and that’s it. This is the least favored among the ways to quit addiction since it exposes you to withdrawal symptoms. Depending on your addiction severity, withdrawal can either be a minor inconvenience or could render you utterly nonfunctional.

Tapering is the more favored and most common way of self-rehab. This involves you taking less and less of the substance over a long period of time. This can be as large as you want, taking half of the usual amount the next week, or as little. The smaller and longer you go, the fewer withdrawal symptoms you’ll experience.

This may take longer than 90 days, but if you commit, or have someone truly committed to help, this can be the smoothest ride to recovery, and most of all it’s free.

How Many People Recover from Drug Addiction?

As we speak, there are millions of people suffering from drug addiction. A good chunk of that number are the people currently undergoing rehab of some form. According to the National Survey on Drug Abuse and Health, (NSHDUH) 1 out of 8 Americans are struggling with addiction either to drugs or alcohol, with alcohol taking most of the percentage.

Out of those people who are addicted and went through rehab, they had a 40-60% chance of relapsing. This means only 40% of all people who underwent rehab recovered completely.

Though this may sound disheartening, the addict is mostly not to be blamed completely for relapse. Addiction is identified as a chronic disease, making it somewhat unpredictable. If the recovered individual experiences heavy enough drivers, they may relapse and go through addiction once more. Which is why it’s important to fully understand the causes of the addiction during the recovery phases.

Addiction is not something easily gained. You don’t get addicted to drugs just because you tried them. You don’t become an alcoholic just because you drink. There are several factors, all laid out over a long period of time. To recover from it requires about the same, if not longer amount of time. Be patient and take things in small steps. You will get there eventually and know that recovery is not a race: it’s not finishing first, it’s simply finishing.

For those helping others with addiction, you will need even more patience and consideration. They need you at their worst and they need you at their best. If you commit to helping an addict, commit all the way to recovery. It will be a journey that’s worth the destination.


Don't Wait Help Is Only A Phone Call Away

Call Now 855-227-9535


Related Post


How OxyContin Makes You Feel: Why...

OxyContin is a prescription painkiller that contains oxycodone as its main active ingredient. Oxycodone is a narcotic that is used for pain ...

  • Posted by Fel

How OxyContin Makes You Feel: Benefits,...

Many articles out there describe what OxyContin is for and how it is not exactly the same as oxycodone. Some articles explore the compositio...

  • Posted by Fel

How Long Does Opiate Withdrawal Last?

Opiate addiction remains a big problem in the United States, as well as the rest of the world. As people get hooked on these prescription pa...

  • Posted by Fel

Leave us a comment