- 5 of the best healthy recipes for active addicts undergoing the detoxification phase.
- Pesto Red Rice
- Warm Avocado Toast
- Sweet Berry Quinoa Salad
- Steamed Bass with Fennel, Parsley, and Capers
- Turkey and Coconut Soup
Eating and staying healthy were not my top priorities. I also had an irregular intake of food. I would eat a lot after a killer hangover, but I do not eat anything whenever I was “high” on drugs. Now that I am getting sober, I have to be conscious with what to eat to stay healthy.
Proper nutrition is something that should be given importance during the phases of drug addiction treatment. During active addiction, the body is keen on neglecting proper eating. In my experience as an addict, I only ate one meal a day and when I do it, I chose to consume unhealthy fast food products like pizza and tacos.
During the detoxification phase, whether drugs or alcohol, you need to know what kind of food to consume in order to help you ease the process. You also need to stay hydrated by drinking 9 to 12 glasses of water daily. You may also drink other liquids but keep yourself away from drinking too many caffeinated drinks.
In the detox stage, protein is one of the most important to take in. It will help your body repair cells and tissues; thereby promoting proper bodily functions.
The following pointers will aid you in keeping track of your diet during this phase:
- Make fruit and vegetables a part of your diet.
- Choose a high fiber diet. Fiber is usually found in nuts, vegetables, whole grains, etc.
- Consume garlic, onions, leeks, turmeric, green tea, berries, artichokes and milk thistle. These cruciferous vegetables help support detoxification.
- Eat yogurt, kimchi, kefir, sauerkraut and other fermented foods to help manage toxins caused by consistent drug use.
- Maintain a regular bowel movement through proper diet and regular exercise.
5 of the best healthy recipes for active addicts undergoing the detoxification phase.
Pesto Red Rice
The recipe can serve 6 to 8 people. Prepare pesto, 1-1/2 cups uncooked red rice, 2 cups broccoli florets, 1 lb. asparagus and cut into 1 inch pieces, 2 peeled garlic cloves, 2/3 cup toasted pine nuts, ¾ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp freshly ground black peppers, extracts of 1 whole lemon, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 cup dairy-free plain yogurt, 1 diced yellow bell pepper and 3 chives, finely chopped.
- Cook red rice (according to package instructions).
- In a large pot, boil 1 cup of water. Add the steamed broccoli and asparagus in small batches. Cover the pot to cook for 60 seconds or until the vegetables are bright green and crunchy.
- Get all of the vegetables prepared and run them under cold water. Set them aside.
- Create the pesto pasta.
- In a food processor, mix garlic, pine nuts, sea salt, pepper and lemon juice with the cooked broccoli and asparagus.
- Pour in olive oil and a spoonful of yogurt.
- Place cooked rice and pesto together.
- Add warm water for preferred texture.
- Top with pine nuts, diced yellow pepper, and chives.
Warm Avocado Toast
Enjoy this flavorful recipe. This recipe can serve 2 to 3 people. Prepare the following ingredients: slices of Ezekiel Bread, ½ avocado fruit, ½ lemon, sea salt, cayenne pepper, alfalfa sprouts and olive oil.
- For about 1 to 2 minutes, lightly toast the bread in the oven or toaster.
- Mash the avocado with a fork in a small bowl. Leave some of the avocado chunks visible.
- Squeeze the lemon into a bowl and combine with the avocado chunks.
- Keep the bread warm, pour in the avocado mix.
- To add flavor, add sea salt and cayenne.
- Spread on top of the bread and add a small drizzle of olive oil.
Sweet Berry Quinoa Salad
The best detox recipe can serve 4 to 6 people. The ingredients of this salad are: 1 cup uncooked quinoa, 1 pint blackberries, 1 pint raspberries, 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil, 2 cups mixed greens, 1 finely chopped scallions, 1 teaspoon stevia, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of lemon zest.
- Cook the quinoa (according to the package instructions), then let it cool down.
- In a large bowl, mix cooked quinoa, blackberries, raspberries, basil, mixed greens, and scallions.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator to chill for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients in a different bowl.
- Get the quinoa salad preparation from the fridge and add the balsamic dressing.
- Garnish with lemon zest.
Steamed Bass with Fennel, Parsley, and Capers
The recipe is best for couples. The following are the ingredients for this recipe: ¼ sliced medium white onion, 1 thinly sliced fennel bulb, ½ lemon, 2 pcs 5-oz. portions of striped bass, ½ tsp sea salt, 1 tbsp rinsed capers, ¼ cup chopped parsley and 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil.
- In a saucepan, cover water with onion, fennel, and lemon juice.
- Wait for the saucepan to boil and simmer for at least 5 minutes.
- Place the two portions of bass, seasoned with sea salt in the saucepan.
- Sprinkle with parsley and capers then cover the pan.
- For 8 minutes, let the pan simmer until the fish achieves a flaky state.
- Place fish on top of the vegetables on a bowl.
- Drizzle with 2 tsp extra olive oil and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
Turkey and Coconut Soup
Another recipe that is best for couples. The ingredients for this soup are: 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 1 small onion sliced, 1 peeled and chopped garlic clove, 1 thumb-sized peeled and finely chopped piece of ginger, 2 diced sticks of celery, 1 lemon grass hit with a rolling pin, 100 ml vegetable stock, 200 ml coconut milk, 200g cooked turkey roughly chopped, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, 1 handful of spinach, 1 handful of finely chopped coriander and lime extract.
- In a medium pan, place a bit of oil and add the onions to sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 3 minutes or until garlic is golden-colored.
- Add celery, vegetable stock, coconut milk, and lemon grass to the pan and simmer.
- Leave the pan simmering for at least 15 minutes or until celery is completely soft.
- Add the turkey, salt, and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes or until the turkey is hot throughout.
- Stir in spinach and coriander.
- Add a dash of coriander and a squeeze of lime juice in 2 separate bowls.
Detoxing from harmful substances is an important part of the drug addiction treatment. While it may be difficult to be interested in food again, eating healthy food is important to help remove the toxins out from your body. Follow these best detox recipes to help you start your recovery and healing process.