It should come as no surprise that alcohol will not do you any good. You should know by know that there are countless reasons why you should not drink the alcoholic beverage excessively.
- A research shows that women who drink as little as 1 drink every day boost their risk of getting breast cancer, as well as, other cancers involving the liver, mouth, throat, esophagus, and rectum.
- Alcohol is a mind-changing substance for a lot of people, despite the knowledge that when abused it great quantities, comes with a lot of health risks.
- Alcohol is bad for you as it contains at least 7 calories/gram with no nutrients at all just as liquors like gin, whiskey, and vodka are really nothing but calories.
If you’re still not convinced to quit on your alcohol use, you are not alone. Today, thousands of people casually have drinks with their friends during weekends or simply unwind with a glass of wine or beer after having a long, stressful day at work. Drinking has become only one of the life’s most pleasurable activities. On the other hand, it’s possible that you can make healthier decisions when perusing cocktails.
First, order your beverage straight up “neat” or over ice “on the rocks.” Such drinks are made to be nursed in little, gradual sips helping you to avoid getting a hangover. Also, since the drink foregoes any mixers, most of its caloric content is reduced. You can also reduce the effects of a hangover by drinking a full glass of water or a seltzer in between your alcoholic drinks.
When ordering, here are Richter’s top 3 picks:
- Tequila on the rocks because tequila has no carbs and needs to be taken slowly when served. Just skip the shots.
- Red wine is good as it contains no wheat unlike beer, so you will not feel bloated.
- Red wine has tannins, which can be good for the heart if taken in moderation.
Richter, however, recommends that you completely avoid these 3 drinks along with those containing similar ingredients:
- Fruity margaritas-especially pre-made mixes that contain a lot of fructose corn syrup. Ask your bartender to make use of fresh lime juice and a bit of Triple Sec. Also, have your drink on the rocks.
- Piña coladas as just one drink that is packed with more calories than a whole Big Mac!
- Beer because one 12 oz. Budweiser inconveniently packs 147 calories and 11g of carbs. Also, most people drink at least two or more of beer in one sitting thinking that it does not contain much alcohol. Go for a light beer if you must as it only contains 7g of carbs and 110 calories.
Beware of sugars and carbohydrates in your drinks.
The more sugar your beverage has, the worse it will do for you. By now you should know that a lot of mixed drinks are loaded with sugars. Try Diet Coke, if you must, and you will be taking in only 98 calories instead.
On This Page
- 1 Sharon Richter, R.D., a nutritionist from Nutritionist in New York City, New York, shared a couple of tricks on how to deal with the best alcoholic drinks.
- 2 When ordering, here are Richter’s top 3 picks:
- 3 Richter, however, recommends that you completely avoid these 3 drinks along with those containing similar ingredients:
- 4 Beware of sugars and carbohydrates in your drinks.